Make this simple tote bag with a pop of color on the inside.
1/2 yard outer fabric
- 1/2 yard lining fabric
- Sewing Machine
- Iron and ironing board
- Cut 4 pieces of fabric measuring 14.5″x16″, 2 for the lining and 2 for the outer.
- For the straps cut out 2 strips measuring 4″x 25″.
- To start the construction of the bag place both pieces of the canvas facing right side to right side and sew around with a 1/2″ seam allowance leaving 1 side open.
- Now we will have to box the corners, to do this stick your finger in the corner line up both seams and pin. Measure 2″ from the corner point in mark a line and sew across do this for both corners, then clip.
- Repeat the previous steps for the lining this time leaving a 3″ gap at the bottom.
- Now turn the body of the bag inside out.
- To make the straps you will need to fold the strap pieces in half press, then in quarters and press so that it ends up like this.
- Fold the straps with the creases and topstitch with a 1/4″ seam allowance. Repeat for the other strap.
- Attach the straps 3.5″ from the edges and pin do this on both sides of the bag.
- Line up the lining facing the right side of the bag, line up the seams and pin.
- Now sew around the top edge.
- Use the hole of the lining and use it to turn the bag inside out.
- To close the hole pin it closed and sew.
- Put the lining back inside the bag, press and topstitch the top.
- Your bag is now done and it is ready to use.